Sunday, November 14, 2010

Assignment #9 Attend A Concert

I attended the World Symphonic Jazz Orchestra at USC on Tuesday November 9th, 2010. The concert was at the Center for Contemporary Art.

Describe: The concert I saw was of the Jazz Symphonic Orchestra of USC. It consisted of 18 band members and 1 director. It was a rather large band and their sound was very loud. They sounded very good together and it was obvious that they had put a lot of work into this performance. They performed songs by David Cutler, Gerson Garcia, Sonia Jacobson, Makhail Alperin, Aziz Sahmaoui, Jimmy Bosch, and Antoine Herve. The insturments played in this performance were flute, tenor, soprano,and alto saxaphones, trumpets, trombones, a tuba, a guitar, piano, percussion, drums, violin, viola, cello, and bass. During one of the songs there was a belly dancer that came into the room. It was very interesting and kind of awkward but she did a good job.

Analyze: Being in band throughout high school and middle school I have heard my fair share of bands. I believe that this one sounded very good. It could have possibly been one of the best Jazz performances I have heard. The songs that they played seemed very difficult and they all played them with ease. There were many solo performances througout the concert and they all played them very well.

Interpret: The purpose of this concert was to take you on a journey around the world. It was the World Symphonic Jazz Orchestra. They played songs from different parts of the world. They brought in the belly dancer to make the atmosphere more like the area that the song was from. At the end of the performance the director said "I hope that you have enjoyed our trip around the world" and that made me understand that was the purpose.

Evaluate: I greatly enjoyed this concert. The songs were all very catchy and fun to listen to. They performed six songs. My favorite song was Unisons by Makhail Alperin. This song had a very difficult guitar solo that was played very well. The rest of the song was very good also the entire band played well together and they did an amazing job on all of the songs. If I had the chance I would go back and watch this Orchestra play again, I really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment